Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Calling

It has always been difficult to explain to those who don't understand, what the warrior path is. I frequently am frustrated trying to explain my interests, and also find those with an equal level of interest. I have attended many schools over the years, but none have really felt like a perfect fit. The closest would be the Talon, although I caused my own problems there. I really really really wish that I felt at home at the current school I am interested in however; a lot of the students there work together and seem to have really deep relationships and have a closeness that I feel somewhat isolated by. It is by far, the best school hands down. I have trouble staying motivated to go, it's a long drive, and my training partner keeps getting pulled away. Also, they have that closeness which was very intimidating at first. I do things to keep up my training, stay current, read articles and books. Lately I have noticed that I am still in really good shape, and that I'd like to keep it that way. I'm hoping to join a conventional gym, and get my overall fitness balanced and in gear. I am always struggling with our society's perspective on the warriors path. It is either corny movie rambo/xxx action, or hokey I-wish-I-were-a-samurai or a native American. I don't knock those cultures as I am very interested in both... Merely longing for a culture our own that isn't hundreds of years old. It is a difficult calling, and I walk it. Sometimes I get off the path, or go backwards, but I am always feeling the intense calling. Martial Arts is really the only part of our culture that feeds that part of me. I suppose knowing that, and also neglecting that aspect has left me famished. Does a starving man cut his own throat when he is hungry?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that although at times you've lost motivation, you've never strayed far from the path. You are the most warrior-like person I know, and I don't mean you just go beat people up. You have a very wise and cautious way about you, one that I found instantly fascinating when we met. A true warrior knows both passion and pain and has the wisdom to differenciate the two. I know that you will find your place someday. ^_^

May 13, 2005 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dedication to the warrior's path is noble and impressive. There are many of us who pay it homage, but you actually try to walk it, which is infinitely harder, and I imagine rewarding.--Jarrad

May 13, 2005 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home