Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Drinking With Your Dad

Yesterday I went and had a beer with my Dad. The bar was close to our homes which are within a short driving distance to one another. I had gotten off work early, and just had the urge to call my Dad. He was having a beer with my Aunt and Uncles, whom live close by. I went over to the tavern he was at and sat at the bar. My Dad seems to know ALL the bars within like a 10 mile distance. Dad even knows bars in distant parts of the state! I have often had a beer with my Dad, and I always learn something new about him, or what's going on with the family. Dad always likes to tell people at the bar about me, which usually makes me feel good. We get up to date, and usually tell eachother funny stories that have happened to us, as well as latest gripes. I used to resent my Dad only seeming to want to talk, while at a bar. But I've come to appreciate it. I usually buy a round, and then he does even though he is on a tight budget. The multiple Elvis paraphernalia around the bar amused me, and the barmaid kept offering pitchers even though the happy hour special was better. Cops and animal shows dominate the two TV screens, and when the channel is changed to Fear Factor everyone excitedly talks and watches with interest. Bars are funny places. Sometimes the meanest looking dudes are the friendliest and of course sometimes not. Of course, the more you drink the cuter the women get.... But I've never met a woman at a bar that ended up in more than small talk. I'm just cursed/blessed that way I guess. The reverse is true for my Dad. He could have women 20 years younger dancing with him, lowering their necklines, and buying him drinks. (Much to the consternation of Mom!) We are opposites in a lot of ways. Dad says a little but says a lot. I talk and talk and reiterate the same point, detailing everything out. His eyes can say more than most people. When I was little, his looks could say it all. "Quit messing around!" "Your asking for it!" or "Look out!" Dad would give me advice, I'd commit it to memory, and not appreciate it. 25 Years later, I am remembering his words and often go "Dang, why didn't I listen to Dad?" I always learn a lot at the bar when I go, and it isn't often anymore. I tend to over imbibe on a ascending scale. But when I go and hang out with Dad, I really like it. Wonder what my daughter will do with me in 10 years? Hopefully we can find the equivalent, not necessarily at a bar. Have you ever drank with your parents? Try it out if you can, or whatever their place is. You might learn a lot if your willing to play on their home turf. Cya!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are getting to know you dad, even if this came later in your lives. It's so special that you're connecting now. Your dad is a really cool person, just like you. You have more in common than you might have thought.

April 23, 2005 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home